Skip to main content
Go to homepage

Print Page

How Can I Get the Pill if I Don't Have a Family Doctor?

I don't have a family doctor — just my ADHD doctor. How can I get on the Pill without my parents knowing?

Surprisingly, lots of parents are more open to discussing sex and birth control than teens think. Starting the conversation is the hardest part because it can feel awkward and embarrassing.

If you can't talk to your folks, though, you can still get the Pill (or the ring or patch) from a health clinic like Planned Parenthood (or student health center if your school has one). Health clinics can also give you confidential advice on things like using a condom every time you have sex to protect against STDs.

Specialty doctors like your ADHD doc are great at treating people for specific health conditions. But specialists are just that — they focus on one area of a person's health. As you grow and mature, you need a doctor who sees the entire picture and can offer you advice on staying healthy overall.

Ask your mom or dad if you can see an adolescent medicine specialist (a general health doctor who focuses on teens), a pediatrician, or a family practitioner. Besides offering advice on your changing body or how to deal with things like school stress, these doctors also can prescribe birth control and talk with you confidentially about things like STDs, relationships, and sex. Your ADHD doctor or school nurse might be able to give you the name of a general health practitioner.

Reviewed by: Amy W. Anzilotti, MD
Date Reviewed: Nov 4, 2020

Lea este articulo en Español

What next?

By using this site, you consent to our use of cookies. To learn more, read our privacy policy.