Skip to main content
Go to homepage

East Palestine Train Derailment

Akron Children’s has been monitoring the East Palestine train derailment and is committed to caring for children, teens and young adults in that area. Parents are understandably worried and should contact their provider with any concerns. At this time, a blood test to determine the presence of chemicals released due to the derailment does not exist. Additional information can be found at East Palestine Train Derailment Information | Emergency Management Agency (

FAQs for Parents

On Feb. 3, 2023, a freight train carrying vinyl chloride and other chemicals derailed along the Norfolk Southern Railway in East Palestine, Ohio. Emergency crews conducted a controlled burn of the spill at the request of state officials that released hydrogen chloride and phosgene into the air.

As a result, parents are understandably worried and have questions. Akron Children’s offers this FAQ to provide resources and guidance.  

My child has symptoms that could be related to the train derailment. What should I do?

At this time, a blood test to determine the presence of chemicals released due to the derailment does not exist. The best way to monitor your child is to have regular well child checks. Visit to make an appointment online with a provider.

In the event of a medical emergency, families can seek care for common illnesses and minor injuries at one of our urgent care locations. All other emergencies should be directed to our emergency departments.

My child is afraid and anxious due to the derailment and related events. How can I help them?

The unknown is frightening to adults and kids. Here are resources to help guide conversations with your kids:

How do I clean my child’s outdoor toys, my home and our clothes?

Not all answers are known at this time. As the situation evolves, extensive resources about the train derailment can be found on the Ohio Emergency Management Agency’s website including latest news, contact phone numbers and another FAQ for parents.

I would like my child’s medical record. How can I get a copy?
Parents can contact HIM at 330-543-8552 or to receive a paper records release form by mail. Visit the Medical Records site for a downloadable version of the form and additional information.

Your child’s medical records are also available with MyChart. Click here to enroll today and have access to permanent access to important health information, such as your child’s health summary and history, current medications, allergies and immunization records.

By using this site, you consent to our use of cookies. To learn more, read our privacy policy.