Skip to main content
Go to homepage

Print Page

Abuse: What if I Need Help Right Now?

If you are going through abuse, tell an adult you trust. You can tell a parent or relative. Or you can tell a friend’s parent, a teacher, a counselor, or a doctor or nurse.

You can go to that person and say, “I need to talk" or “I need to tell you something.” When they are listening, tell them what has happened, and say you need their help.

If you don’t have an adult to turn to, you can call or text someone at a helpline. Anytime, day or night, people are there to listen and to help kids who are being hurt.

Here’s how to talk to someone who can help:

  • If you are in the United States or Canada, call or text someone at the ChildHelp Hotline1-800-422-4453.

    If you are in danger, call 911.
    Be sure to give your first name and address so they can get you help.

Abuse is never a kid’s fault. No matter what an abuser might say. Or how bad a kid might feel about what’s happening. Kids deserve to be kept safe from harm. There are adults who will help.

Reviewed by: D'Arcy Lyness, PhD
Date Reviewed: Aug 1, 2023

Lea este articulo en Español

What next?

By using this site, you consent to our use of cookies. To learn more, read our privacy policy.