Keep your family safe by being prepared, not scared, for snow days with these winter weather tips.
Create a household emergency kit
- Flashlight with batteries, first-aid kit, portable battery charger, and non-perishable food, water and medicine to last 3 days.
Make a car emergency kit
- Windshield scraper, first-aid kit, blankets, hat, gloves, water and non-perishable food, hazard reflectors, jumper cables and portable battery charger.
Bundle up outside
- Dress in layers – a thin inner layer to wick moisture away from skin, add insulating layers and a waterproof coat with hat, gloves and boots.
Know the signs of hypothermia and frostbite
- Frostbit causes pain, decreased sensation, tingling or numbness. Hypothermia is low body temperature causing shivering, confusion, slurred speech or blue lips.
Remove snow safely
- Shoveling snow can be strenuous, slippery and raise the risk of injury or heart attack. Take breaks and use caution. Never let children break off icicles or hide in snow piles.