Sleep. There’s almost nothing babies love to do more. In the first few months of life, an infant can sleep 16 to 22 hours a day. That’s a lot of time spent in a crib. So it’s important to protect your baby while they’re slumbering. In Ohio alone, three babies die each week from unsafe sleep environments. The good news is, these deaths can be prevented. Akron Children’s is dedicated to helping protect children with safe sleep programming, and expert sleep advice during the earliest days of your baby’s childhood and beyond.
Always Follow the ABCs of Safe Sleep
Remember, babies are safest Alone, on their Backs, in an empty Crib, bassinet, portable crib or play yard that meets current safety standards.
- Do NOT place your baby on their stomach or side to sleep.
- Keep your baby’s crib completely empty except for a fitted sheet.
- Do NOT place stuffed animals, blankets, crib bumpers, pillows or other objects in the crib with them.
- And never let your baby sleep in the same bed with you or another child.
- Be sure other caregivers, like grandparents and babysitters, follow these life-saving rules too when watching your baby.
Following these simple steps will help keep your baby safe while sleeping.
Akron Children’s Safe Sleep Programs
Bringing more to childhood means helping your family safely make the most of every moment. For more information on safety, see the links below.