Members of our medical staff gathered to honor retirees, as well as those who will be retiring later this year.
“The many contributions of our retiring medical staff members will continue to have a lasting impact on our organization,” said Dr. Laura Pollauf, Medical Staff President who formally recognized each honoree and presented them with a commemorative piece of art commissioned from local artist Don Drumm.
The 17 honorees included:
- Dr. Umesh Betkerur who will retire from Akron Children’s Hospital Pediatrics (ACHP) in June with 18 years of service
- Dr. John Bober who will retire from Pediatric Psychiatry in June with 11 years of service, but will continue to work at the hospital as needed
- Dr. Georgette Constantinou who retired in January from Pediatric Psychology with 40 years of service, but is also continuing to work at the hospital as needed
- Dr. Stephen Cosby who will retire from Pediatric Psychiatry in July after 19 years of service
- Dr. Robert Gulmi who retired from Akron Children’s Hospital Pediatrics in 2010 with 47 years of service
- Dr. Richard Hines who retired from Family Medicine last December with 38 years of service
- Dr. Robert Hull who retired from Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics last November with 17 years of service
- Dr. Jeff Kempf who retired in April from Pediatric Emergency Medicine, but will continue as the medical director of Pediatric Global Health
- Elizabeth Miller, CNP, who retired from Pediatric Hematology-Oncology last September with 15 years of service
- Dr. Nancy O’Dell who retired from Pediatric Anesthesiology in April with 16 years of service
- Dr. Anita Olmos who retired from Akron Children’s Hospital Pediatrics last December with 18 years of service
- Dr. James Prebis who will retire from Pediatric Nephrology in July with 11 years of service
- Dr Laura Rocker who retired from Pediatric Psychiatry in January with 11 years of service
- Dr. Pat Seifert who retired from Pediatric Psychology in January with 11 years of service
- Dr. Daryl Steiner who retired last December from Child Protection/Child Abuse Prevention with 38 years of service
- Dr. Dean Timmons who retired from Pediatric Neurology in 2009 with 45 years of service
- Dr. Vivian Timperman who will retire from Akron Children’s Hospital Pediatrics this summer with 4 years of service
Dr. Cosby and Dr. Constantinou were instrumental in growing our behavioral health services, including the recent expansion of our inpatient behavioral health unit.
Dr. Seifert helped establish the Pediatric Intake Response Center (PIRC), which she directed since it was founded.
Dr. Steiner has long been recognized as a visionary in the field of child abuse, serving as the director of our CARE Center since 1991.
Dr. Kempf expanded our reach globally through a partnership with St. Damien’s Pediatric Hospital in Haiti.
Dr. Hines served as director of Family Medicine.
Many other retiring members gave years of outstanding service on various medical staff and hospital committees, or contributed to medical education. Dr. Gulmi, Dr. Kempf and Dr. Timmons all served in the role of medical staff president.
“While the contributions of our retirees are too numerous to mention, we are forever grateful for their passion and commitment to advancing pediatric healthcare regionally, as well as nationally and internationally,” Dr. Pollauf said.