Managing your child's diabetes in the child care setting

2015-09-08 12:49:56 by Public Relations staff, as posted on the blog.


At times, separation anxiety can be felt more acutely by parents than children. This may especially be the case if your young child has diabetes and is in day care.

You may wonder if she's receiving appropriate care and what might happen if she has a diabetes emergency.

Take a deep breath and read these tips.


  • Be aware that your child cannot be denied admission. Child care centers cannot refuse to accept children diagnosed with diabetes.

  • Prepare a care plan. Work with your child's doctor to develop a complete diabetes care plan and give the plan to the child care center.

  • Make sure the staff provides appropriate care. The staff should deliver care as prescribed for by your child's healthcare provider. This includes blood glucose monitoring, insulin and glucagon administration, recognition and treatment of low or high blood sugar, and meeting nutritional needs outlined in the care plan.

  • Equip staff with needed diabetes supplies. You must provide the child care center with all equipment, snacks, insulin and other diabetes medication.

  • Ensure that staff members receive training. All child care staff should receive basic diabetes information, training on diabetes emergencies and a list of who to contact for help. Help the staff locate a diabetes trainer, such as your diabetes educator.

  • Assign a staff member to provide diabetes care. Identify at least 1 staff member who will be the main diabetes care provider. Ensure that this person is trained to give your child insulin and glucagon and to do blood glucose monitoring.

  • Empower your child with age-appropriate care. He should be allowed to participate in his own care as he's able.

  • Know the law. Read up on federal and state laws that protect your child's right to safely participate in a child care program. Examples of unfair treatment may include:




  1. Your daughter's day care refuses to allow her back after a diagnosis of diabetes - even though she's already been enrolled for a year.

  2. You have to leave work to provide your child's diabetes care at the child care center.


How to get help

For free information or to speak with a legal advocate, call the American Diabetes Association (ADA) at 1-800-DIABETES (342-2382).

The ADA's legal advocates can help you understand the law and your rights, as well as provide practical solutions to ensure your child receives needed care and will be safe in the child care setting.

For more information about diabetes or to contact a diabetes educator, visit Akron Children's Center for Diabetes and Endocrinology.


Post or read comments about this story on >>

Share your story!

Contact Us

330-543-1000 (operator)

(8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.)


find a location
Find a location Type the first 3-5 letters of a specialty, service or location:
Or, view: a map, a list of all locations, locations by city or locations near me.
find a doctor
Find a doctor Type the first 3-5 letters of the name, location or specialty:
Or, view a list of all doctors by name, location and specialty.