NICU roller coaster

2014-09-04 17:08:29 by Amber Long, Patient Family, as posted on the blog.


My labor story begins on Jan. 7, 2013, at 32 weeks and 2 days. It was a normal work day and I had a doctor's appointment for the start of my twice weekly non-stress tests (NSTs).

At the appointment my blood pressure (BP) was really high at 175/99. And during the non-stress test, my baby wasn't moving so they did an ultrasound, which showed she was ok. They rechecked my BP and it was 169/100.

I was sent straight to Akron City Hospital and direct admitted for 24-hour urine and blood draws. There I received the first of 2 steroid shots and was on continuous fetal monitoring with bathroom privileges.


On Wednesday morning the first resident told me I had high levels of protein in my urine (a sign of kidney problems), but I could probably be treated as an outpatient. I was excited. Fast forward a few hours and the attending comes in.

My levels were like 750. I was gonna have to stay in the hospital to be monitored and deliver at 34 weeks. I cried. The only good thing is the monitor came off and I only had to do 2 NSTs a day.

The next week and a half dragged on with blood draws and ultrasounds to measure growth and such. Plus, they increased my blood pressure meds because they were still kind of high with the threat of delivering even earlier.

At midnight Thursday I went over to labor & delivery to begin my induction. I was given magnesium for my BP and started on antibiotics for Group B strep. I was only 1 cm and 50%.

At 1 a.m. I had my first round of a medication to induce labor, than another at 5 a.m. and a third at 9 a.m.

I made it to 3 cm and was still only 50%, so they started the pitocin.

Around 4 p.m. they inserted a foley catheter. It was only in for about an hour and I went to 4 cm, but still 50%.

They broke my water at 5 p.m. and placed me on an internal uterine monitor.

I was given an epidural at 9:30 p.m., and sometime around there, I was placed on an internal fetal monitor.

Throughout the whole night, she stayed high up in the birth canal and experienced a decrease in her heart rate during contractions. Around 7:30 a.m., they decided to do a c-section.

After 33 hours of labor, Dylan Josephine was born at 34 weeks and 1 day at 8:57 a.m. on Jan. 19, 2013. My chunky preemie was 6 lbs., 10 oz and 19.5 inches.

Dylan had CPAP for a few minutes to help her breathe easier after birth, but from then on she was breathing on her own. She had an IV in the isolette and was under bili lights to treat her jaundice for 8 days.

We started bottles/breast feeding at 1 week but she had a weak suck/bad latch and was a very lazy eater. She had an ng (feeding) tube for 5 weeks.

At 39 weeks gestational, Dr. Elkhwad said the ng tube could come out. She could eat on her own as long as she maintained or gained weight.

We were finally discharged after 40 very long days.

I can never thank the Akron Children's staff at Akron City enough.

Post or read comments about this story on >>

Share your story!

Contact Us

330-543-1000 (operator)

(8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.)


find a location
Find a location Type the first 3-5 letters of a specialty, service or location:
Or, view: a map, a list of all locations, locations by city or locations near me.
find a doctor
Find a doctor Type the first 3-5 letters of the name, location or specialty:
Or, view a list of all doctors by name, location and specialty.