Research/Scholarly Activity Project
Residents are required to perform a scholarly activity project during residency. Residents are paired with a faculty research advisor, with research and statistical support provided through Akron Children's Rebecca D. Considine Research Institute.
Results of the project are presented at Post Graduate Day, or research day.
Many of our residents have presented their research at national conferences and have published their work. Below is a sample of the research published and presented by our residents, along with Akron Children's faculty members, since 2008. The residents’ names are underlined.
Joyce C, Giuliano J, Gothard D, Schwartz H, Bigham M, Specialty Pediatric Transport in Primary Care or Urgent Care Settings, Air Medical Journal, 33:2, 1-5, March-April 2014
Spies E, McBride M, Early Hyperglycemia is Associated with Poor Gross Motor Outcome in Asphyxiated Term Newborns, Pediatric Neurology, 2014 Kline Krammes S, Reed C, Giuliano JS Jr, Schwartz HP, Forbes M, Pope J, Besunder J, Gothard MD, Russell K, Bigham MT. Heliox in Children with Croup: a Strategy to Hasten Improvement. Air Medical Journal; 2012 May; 31 (3): 131-7.
- Siracusa C, Gothard M, Spoonhower K, Kraynack NC. “Does Using a Standardized Pulmonary Exacerbation Score in Patients 6 Years Old and Younger with Cystic Fibrosis Improve Outcomes?” Pediatr Pulm suppl. 2011; 46: S34, A471, 383.
- Tigges CR, Bigham MT. Hypertrophic pyloric stenosis: it can take your breath away. Air Med J. 2012 Jan;31(1):45-8.
- Audino A, Blatt J, Carcamo B, Castaneda V, Dinndorf P, Wang W, Whitlock J, Hord J, MD, High-Dose Cyclophosphamide Treatment for Refractory Severe Aplastic Anemia in Children Pediatric Blood Cancer, 2010.
- Damore D, Rutledge J, Pan S, Knotek N, Ramundo M, Handedness Effects on Procedural Training in Pediatrics, Clinical Pediatrics, 2009.
- Nugent N, Christopher N, Crow J, Browne L, Ostowski S, Delahanty D, The efficacy of early propranolol administration at reducing PTSD symptoms in pediatric injury patients: a pilot study, J Trauma Stress, 2010.
- Gist K, Bockoven J, Lane J, Smith G, Clark J, Acute success of cryoablation of left-sided accessory pathways: a single institution study, J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol, 2009.
- Smith K, Bigham M, Editorial: Biomarkers in Pediatric Sepsis, The Open Inflammation Journal, 2010
- Wenger OK, McManus MD, Bower JR, Langkamp DL. Barriers to Immunization in the Amish of Northeast Ohio: A Separatist Community Shares Concerns of Broader American Society. Pediatrics, 128:79-85, 2011
- Kline-Krammes S, Wheller D, Forbes M, Bigham M, Missed Opportunities During Pediatric Residency Training: Report of a 10-year Follow-up Survey in Critical Care Transport Medicine, Pediatric Emergency Care, : 1-5, 2012
- Weingart C, Herstich T, Baker P, Garrett ML, Bird M, Billock J, Schwartz HP, Bigham MT, Making Good Better: Implementing a Standardized Handoff in Pediatric Transport, Air Med J. 2013 Jan-Feb;32(1):40-6. doi: 10.1016/j.amj.2012.06.005.
- Depue K, Christopher N, Raed M, Forbes M, Besunder J, Reed M, Efficacy of IV Lidocaine to Reduce Pain and Distress Associated with Propofol Infusion in Pediatric Patients During Procedural Sedation, Pediatric Emergency Care 13-16, 2013
- Bigelow A, Clark J, Imipramine to Treat Ventricular Tachycardia in Anderson Tawil Syndrome, Heart Rhythm 2014, San Francisco, CA, May 9, 2014.
- Hertz, S., Melville, J, Steiner, R, Lindberg, D. (2014) Injuries in Children Reported As Witnessed Cases of Abuse and Shaking. Helfer Society, Annapolis, MD, April 2014.
- Martorano, L, Wassbauer, N, Karnani, R, Desensitization Protocol in a Young Child with Prior Anaphylactoid Reaction to Intravenous Gammaglobulin: A Therapeutic Approach, Clinical Immunology Society, Baltimore, MD, April 10-12, 2014
- Bigelow A, Clark J, Crane S, Crane S, Khoury F, Catheter Ablation of SVT without fluoroscopy during pregnancy, Chicago, IL, April 28, 2014
- Bigelow A, Gothard M, Schwartz H, Bigham M, Intubation in Pediatric/Neonatal Critical Care Transport: A National Benchmark, SCCM's 43rd Critical Care Congress, San Francisco, CA, January 9-12, 2014
- Kutney, K., Insulin Edema in a Young Woman with Poorly Controlled Type I Diabetes, ENDO 2013, San Francisco, CA, 2013
- Crosby, K, Wasserbauer, N., Savelli, S., Newly diagnosed CVID in a patient following treatment for Osteosarcoma, 2013 CIS Annual Meeting: Regulation & Dysregulation of Immunity, Miami, FL, April 25-28, 2013.
- Seif C, Congeni B, Bower, J, Neonatal Meningitis Caused by Cronobacter Sakazakii, 2013 AAP National Conference and Exhibition, Orlando, FL, October 28, 2013
- Kline S, Jacobs T, Lutes E, Clark J, The Effect of Intravenous Ondansetron On the QT Interval of Patients' Electrocardiograms in the Pediatric Emergency Department, American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) National Conference and Exhibition, Orlando, FL October 25, 2013.
- McCloud A, Khan W Patel C, Smith P, Spector M, Lane J, Bockoven J, Evaluation of Coronary Arteries Following Arterial Switch Operation, MRI versus Echocardiography, 41st Annual ODICH Conference (Ohio Doctors Interested in Congenital Hearts), Nationwide Children's Hospital, Columbus, OH, May 10, 2013
- Khankan H, Mike Forbes, Tirodker U, Hixon K, Obesity is not an independent risk factor for sedation-related adverse events, Society for Pediatric Sedation, Houston, TX, May 2013
Watson L, Patterson M, Gothard D, Tirodker U, Testing Sedation Checklist Usability using Simulation, Society for Pediatric Sedation, Houston, TX, May 20, 2013
- Joyce C, Libertin R, Bigham, Family-Centered Care in Pediatric Critical Care Transport: Where do we Stand? Critical Care and Transport Medicine Conference, Austin, Texas, April 8, 2013. Dr. Joyce won the Golden Hour Award Critical Care and Transport Medicine Conference Scientific Assembly Award for Excellence in Clinical Research: First Place
- Kakajiwala A, Wigfield J, Bodas P, Osteopetrosis Presenting as Upper Airway Obstruction in an Amish male Ohio Chapter, American Academy of Pediatrics, Dublin, OH, September 28 2012.
- Martinez-Kinder C, Forbes M, Dwyer J, David S, The Rise of the Machines-The Electronic Medical Record Can Facilitate Disease Detection: Pediatric Morbid Obesity in the Crosshairs, 2012 AAP National Conference and Exhibition, New Orleans, LA, October 21, 2012.
- Kahlenberg L, Forbes M, Breathe Easy: The Impact of An Asthma Pathway Across the Care Continuum On Clinical Outcomes and Cost Containment, 2012 AAP National Conference and Exhibition, New Orleans, LA, October 21, 2012.
- Seibert T, Roeder K, Forbes M, Fenton C, The Burden of Recidivist Diabetic Ketoacidosis: Defining Incidence and Identifying Risk Factors, 2012 AAP National Conference and Exhibition, New Orleans, LA, October 21, 2012.
- Slain K, Forbes M, Wendorf R, Predicting Mortality in Pediatric Respiratory Failure: Feasibility of the Oxygenation Index Area Under the Curve, Platform presentation, 2012 AAP National Conference & Exhibit, New Orleans, LA,, New Orleans, LA, October 21, 2012
- Potts B, Forbes M, The Myth of Preventable PICU Readmissions: A Review Using a Local Clinical Database, 2012 AAP National Conference & Exhibit, New Orleans, October 21, 2012
- Tigges C, Forbes M, Bigham M, Gothard D, The Epidemiology of Severe Sepsis in the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit:
A Reappraisal Using a Local Clinical Database, Society of Critical Care Medicine Annual Congress, February 2012
- Raed M, Khan W, Patel C, Smith P, Rubin M, Lane: A Novel Approach for Evaluating the Coronary Artery Anatomy in the Pediatric and Adolescent Patients by Volume Scan/3D Isotropic Magnetic Resonance Imaging. 15th Annual Update on Pediatric and Congenital Cardiovascular Disease in Scottsdale AZ, February 2011.
- Plourde R, Markowski A, Gothard D, Cockrell E: Efficacy of Ethanol Locks for Treatment of Central Venous Catheter Infections in Pediatric Oncology Patients. 24th Annual Meeting of American Society of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology in Baltimore MD, April 2011.
- Ford J, Gothard D, Cockrell E: Risk Factors Associated with Thromboembolic Events in Pediatric ALL Patients. 24th Annual meeting of American Society of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology in Baltimore MD, April 2011.
- Fenton C, Cole C, Lantzouni E, Salvator A: Predictors and Incidence of Disordered Eating in Adolescents with Diabetes Mellitus Type-I (DM-I). 2011 Pediatric Academic Societies & Asian Society for Pediatric Research Joint Meeting in Denver CO, April 2011.
- Duby J, Snyder J: An Evaluation of Community-Based Partnerships to Improve Developmental Diagnosis. Society for Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics Annual Meeting in San Antonio TX, September 2011.
- Bigham M, Joyce C: The role of a Pediatric Asthma Pathway in Critical Care Transport: An Early Experience. American Academy of Pediatrics National Conference and Exhibition, Section on Transport Medicine in Boston MA, October 2011.
- Bigham M, Burton L: Pediatric Critical Care Transport in the Primary Care Setting. American Academy of Pediatrics National Conference and Exhibition, Section on Transport Medicine in Boston MA, October 2011. Chand D, Newburn A, Dwyer J, Gothard M: Evaluation of Appropriate Blood Pressure Measurements at Well Child Visits. American Academy of Pediatrics National Conference and Exhibition, Section on Transport Medicine in Boston MA, October 2011.
- Siracusa C, Gothard D, Spoonhower K, Kraynack N: Does Using a Standardized Pulmonary Exacerbation Score in Patients 6 years old and younger with Cystic Fibrosis Improve Outcomes? North American Cystic Fibrosis Conference in Anaheim CA, November 2011.
- Holder M, Gerzina H, Maheswari N: Pediatric LP skills-Practice Makes Perfect: How Much, How Often, 2nd International Pediatric Simulation Symposium and workshops, Palazzodeg: Affari, Florence, Italy, February 2009.
- Bishop, R, Khan, W, Patel, C, Lane, J, Smith, P, Fenton, C, Cardiac Evaluation in Pediatric Patients with Turner Syndrome by MRI, presented at 13th Annual Update on Pediatric Cardiovascular Disease, Orlando, FL, February 2009
- Smith, B, Clark, J, Kapil, J, Subcutaneous ICD Placement, presentation at the Ohio Doctors Interested in Congenital Heart Disease Conference, Toledo, OH, April 2009, and as a poster presentation at the Heart Rhythm Society, Boston, MA, May 2009
- Audino, A, Blatt, J, Carcamo, B, Castaneda, V, Dinndorf, P, Wang, W, Whitlock, J, Hord, J, High-Dose Cyclophosphamide Treatment for Refractory Severe Aplastic Anemia in Children, Pediatric Blood Cancer, 2010
- Nugent, N, Christopher, N, Crow, J, Browne, L, Ostowski, S, Delahanty, D, The Efficacy of Early Propranolol Administration at Reducing PTSD Symptoms in Pediatric Injury Patients: A Pilot Study, J Trauma Stress, 2010
- Weingart, C, Bigham, M, Making Good, Better: Implementing and Sustaining Clinical/Operational Quality Improvements in Air Medical Transport, The Air Medical Transport Conference, Fort Lauderdale, FL, October 13, 2010
- Raed, M, Wasim, K, Patel, C, Smith, P, Rubin, M, Lane, J, A Novel Approach for Evaluating the Coronary Artery Anatomy in the Pediatric and Adolescent Patients by Volume Scan/3D Isotropic Magnetic Resonance Imaging at the 15th Annual Update on Pediatric and Congenital Cardiovascular Disease, February 15, 2011, Scottsdale, AZ
- Plourde, R, Markowski, A, Gothard, D, Cockrell, E, Efficacy of Ethanol Locks for Treatment of Central Venous Catheter Infections in Pediatric Oncology Patients at the 24th Annual Meeting of the American Society of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology, April 13-16, 2011, Baltimore, MD
- Ford, J, Gothard, D, Cockrell, E, Risk Factors Associated with Thromboembolic Events in Pediatric ALL/LL Patients at the 24th Annual Meeting of the American Society of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology, April 13-16, 2011, Baltimore, MD
- Fenton, C, Cole, C, Lantzouni, E, Salvator, A, Predictors and Incidence of Disordered Eating in Adolescents with Diabetes Mellitus type-I (DM-I) at the 2011 Pediatric Academic and Asian Societies for Pediatric Research Joint Meeting, April 30 - May 3, 2011, Denver, CO
- Burke M, Accurately Determining Fluid Status in a Pediatric ICU: A Multivariate Analysis. Poster presentation at AAP National Conference & Exhibit. October 2009
- Hixon K, Does the Pulmonary Exacerbation Score Reflect an Acute Change in a Patient’s Status? Poster presentation at North American Cystic Fibrosis Conference. October 2009.
- Kline S, Resident Training in Pediatric Critical Care Transport Medicine: A Ten Year Follow up Survey of Pediatric Residency Programs. Poster Presentation at AAP National Conference & Exhibit. October 2009.
- Kotha K, Growth Velocity of CF Patients Before and After Initiation of a Standardized Nutrition Assessment Score. Poster Presentation at North American Cystic Fibrosis Conference. October 2009.
- Turnbull J, Besunder J, Friebert S, Mission Possible: Seamless Integration of Palliative Care in the PICU. Poster presentation at Society of Critical Care Medicine. February 2009.
- Smith K, Reed R, Bigham M, Prognosticating Intubation Failure in Neonatal/Pediatric Critical Care Transport, Poster presentation at the American Academy of Pediatrics 2010 National Conference and Exhibition’s Section on Transport Medicine. October 3, 2010.
- Audino A, Hord J, Influence of disease type, gender, age and chronic transfusion on the incidence of pulmonary hypertension among children with sickle cell disease. Presentation at the SCDAA 36th Annual Convention. 2008.
- Bigham M, Weingart C, Making Good Better -- Implementing and Sustaining Clinical/Operational Quality Improvement Initiatives in Air Medical Transport. AMTC Conference (Air Medical Transport Conference). Poster presentation. October 13-15, 2010.
- Gist, K. Smith, G. Ablation with Radiation: 100 Cases from a Single Institution presented at the 4th Charleston Symposium on Interventional Pediatric Electrophysiology in December 2007.
- Gist, K, Smith, G, et al. Ablation without Radiation: 100 Cases from a Single Institution presented at Heart Rhythm Society Meeting in San Francisco CA in May 2008.
- Brandon S, Clark J, Kapil J, Subcutaneous ICD Placement, PowerPoint presentation at the Ohio Doctors Interested in Congenital Heart Disease Comferencology, April 23, 2009.ce in Toledo in April 2009 and as a poster presentation at Heart Rhythm Society in Boston, Massachusetts in May, 2009.
- Audino A, Shaw C, Hord J, Erythrocytapheresis Is Effective in Reducing Serum Ferritin among Children with Sickle Cell Disease, but Impact on Total Body Iron is Uncertain. 22nd Annual Meeting of the American Society of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology, April 23, 2009.