Overview of Pediatric Neuropsychology Fellowship

The mission of Akron Children's pediatric neuropsychology fellowship program is to provide advanced-level clinical, didactic and academic training to produce competent psychologists in the specialty of clinical pediatric neuropsychology.

Program components

  1. Development of advanced skill in the pediatric neuropsychological evaluation and treatment of patients, and consultation to patients/families and professionals sufficient to practice on an independent basis.
  2. Development of advanced understanding of brain-behavior relationships.
  3. Scholarly activity (i.e., submission of a study or literature review for publication, presentation and submission of a grant proposal or outcome assessment).
  4. Pedagogical activities (i.e.. teaching contributions to behavioral neuroscience seminar, neuroanatomy review, facilitation of monthly journal club, and opportunities for supervision of a psychology intern or extern).

Program structure

This is a 2-year residency. Three days (60%) of the postdoctoral resident's week will be spent engaged in providing clinical service, including assessment and treatment activities. The remaining two days (40%) will be spent in research and educational activities.

Akron Children's neuropsychology program provides neuropsychological assessment of pediatric inpatients and outpatients. Patients come from a range of departments, including psychiatry/psychology, neurosurgery, rehabilitation/physiatry, neurogenetics, neurology, pediatrics, and general medicine, as well as from outside referral sources and school settings.

These referrals span the list of neuropathological conditions such as cerebrovascular disorders, genetic and metabolic disorders, neurocutaneous disorders, neuromuscular disorders, childhood cancer including tumors, epilepsy, hydrocephalus, autism, ADHD, learning disabilities, developmental disorders and traumatic brain injury.

Residency exit criteria

  1. Formal evaluation of competency at the end of the residency indicates advanced skill in pediatric neuropsychological evaluation, treatment and consultation.
  2. Eligibility for state licensure or certification for the independent practice of psychology.
  3. Eligibility for board certification in clinical neuropsychology by the American Board of Professional Psychology.


Bookmark and Share

Related Resources
iGrow iGrow
Sign up for our parent enewsletter
Donate Online

Give Today

We rely on your generosity to provide quality medical care to every child who needs us.
Donate Online

Contact Us

330-543-1000 (operator)

330-543-2000
(8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.)

E-mail

find a location
Find a location Type the first 3-5 letters of a specialty, service or location:
Or, view: a map, a list of all locations, locations by city or locations near me.
find a doctor
Find a doctor Type the first 3-5 letters of the name, location or specialty:
Or, view a list of all doctors by name, location and specialty.