Sleep Study Instructions
In order for the study to be as accurate as possible, we ask that you follow these instructions:
- Before your appointment, you must complete the 2-week Sleep Log and bring it with you the night of the test.
- The evening of the test please park in the Bowery Parking Deck, enter at the 3rd floor lobby, where a security guard will greet you and will contact the technician to escort you to the sleep center.
- Your child will sit and relax while the technician attaches sensors to the scalp and body. This is not painful, and may take 30-40 minutes. After the sensors are attached, your child will need to go to bed and will be monitored while asleep.
- If applicable, bring any of your child’s breathing aids (cpap,bipap,extra trach) with you.
- NO BRAIDS
- Continue your child’s normal medications. Your physician will notify you if a medication is to be stopped.
- Do not give your child any food or drink containing caffeine 24 hours before your test. This includes colas, chocolate, tea, and coffee.
- Please have your child eat a normal evening meal. A light snack is encouraged.
- Maintain a normal sleep routine. This may include a nap for a young child.
- Please bathe and wash your child’s hair the morning of the test. This assures that all electronic devices will stick to the scalp and body.
- Do not use oils, creme rinses, styling gels, sprays, or lotions on the hair, face, or body.
- Please remove all make-up and do not apply any face cream.
- Bring what will make your child comfortable, such as pajamas and robe, slippers, toothbrush, a favorite blanket, own pillow, favorite toy, video/DVD, there are DVD/VCR players in each room.
- Parents will not be able to leave the Sleep Center for any reason throughout the test. A convertible sleep couch is available in the room. We permit only one adult to be in the room during the test. There is a parent lounge available with a microwave and a refrigerator.
- Please bring your child’s medications to the hospital the night of the test. You will be responsible for administering medications to your child. The technician administering the test is not permitted to give any medications to your child. It is essential that you bring your child’s medications to the hospital.
- Parents or children are not permitted in the sleep technician monitoring room.
- Your child will be discharged from the hospital when the study is complete. It will be necessary to leave the patient room at this time. A security officer will escort you to your car since your child will be discharged between 5:30-6 a.m.
- If you have questions before the test or need to cancel the test, please call us at (330)543-8318 or toll-free 1-800-262-0333 (extension 38318).