Dancing for the Kids features nine local personalities who will put on their dancing shoes to raise funds for pediatric cancer research at Akron Children’s Hospital. This year’s dancers are:
• Lisa Abraham, food writer and columnist at the Akron Beacon Journal
• Chuck Collins, operations manager for Rubber City Radio Group WAKR/WONE/WQMX
• Rich Heldenfels, pop culture writer and columnist at the Akron Beacon Journal
• Abby Hexamer, former hematology and oncology patient at Akron Children’s Hospital
• Frank LaRose, Ohio State Senator
• Jon Oldham, attorney at Oldham Kramer
• Stephanie Savelli, MD, director, cancer survivorship program at Akron Children’s Hospital
• Katie Smucker, community leader
• Shannon Steele, co-host of Keith & Shannon on 98.1 WKDD
The event will be emceed by WKDD’s Keith Kennedy, and the dancing partners are from the University of Akron. Tickets start at $25 and may be purchased online at akronchildrens.org/dancing.
All proceeds up to $100,000 from the event will be matched by the Showers Family Foundation. The event is hosted by the Emerging Leaders Board of Akron Children’s Hospital.
Nov. 9, 2012
Akron Civic Theatre
Every month, six children are diagnosed with some form of cancer at Akron Children’s Hospital. Akron Children's cancer program is ranked by the “U.S. News & World Report” as one of the best among children's hospitals nationwide. The program, housed in the Showers Family Center for Childhood Cancer and Blood Disorders, ranks in the top one-third of pediatric cancer centers in the U.S. in terms of the number of new cancer cases treated each year and is a member of the Children's Oncology Group (COG), the world's largest childhood cancer research entity.
Local celebrities put on their dancing shoes to raise money for cancer research
What to expect when coming to Akron Children's
For healthcare providers and nurses
Residency & Fellowships, Medical Students, Nursing and Allied Health
For prospective employees and career-seekers
Our online community that provides inspirational stories and helpful information.