The Emerging Leaders of Akron Children’s Hospital, an advisory board dedicated to raising funds and awareness for the hospital, is hosting the 2nd annual “Dancing for the Kids” event at 7:30 p.m. on Friday, Oct. 25 at the Akron Civic Theatre.
The event will feature 10 local personalities and their dance partners from The University of Akron, who will put on their dancing shoes to help raise money for the Showers Family Center for Childhood Cancer and Blood Disorders at Akron Children’s Hospital.
This year’s dancers include:
• Jeffrey Hord, MD, director of the Showers Family Center for Childhood Cancer and Blood Disorders
• John Zoilo, executive director of Akron Children’s Hospital Foundation
• Tia Stathopoulos, past chair of Dancing for the Kids, and economic development specialist for the City of Akron
• Tommy Bruno, general manager of The Summit, WAPS 91.3 FM Akron/Canton and WKTL 90.7 FM Youngstown/Warren
• Eric Mansfield, executive director of Kent State University media relations
• Susan Summerville, founder and CEO of The Bloom Society; co-founder and executive director of Project Ed Bear
• Ken Babby, owner of the Akron Aeros
• Sherry Neubert, vice president of global product management at The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co.
• Megan Merril, cancer survivor and state gymnastics champion
• Susan Koroly, Women’s Board of Akron Children’s Hospital
The event will be emceed by WKDD’s Keith Kennedy.
“’Dancing for the Kids’ is such a unique event because it brings together local personalities and engages them in the community,” said Chrissie Beynon, chair of this year’s event. “We are so proud to be able to support the Showers Center at Akron Children’s Hospital in a really creative way.”
The community can support the event by voting for their favorite dancer online or attending the event. General admission adult tickets are $25, children’s tickets are $10, and VIP admission tickets are $100 and include stage seating and a special reception. Tickets can be purchased online at akronchildrens.org/dancing, or by calling the Akron Children’s Hospital Foundation at 330-543-8340.
All proceeds, up to $30,000 from the event will be matched by the Showers Family Foundation.
The Showers Family Center for Childhood Cancer and Blood Disorders at Akron Children’s Hospital provides comprehensive care to children, teens and young adults with all types of childhood cancer, sickle cell disease, hemoglobinopathies and bleeding/clotting disorders, as well as those who require stem cell/bone marrow transplants. As a member of the prestigious Children’s Oncology Group (COG), it participates in the development of National Cancer Institute-approved treatment protocols and offers the most up-to-date cancer therapies. Our cancer program is one of only 12 “Pediatric Cancer Programs” in the country verified by the American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer.
“Dancing for the Kids” to support Akron Children's comes to the Akron Civic Theatre Oct. 25.
What to expect when coming to Akron Children's
For healthcare providers and nurses
Residency & Fellowships, Medical Students, Nursing and Allied Health
For prospective employees and career-seekers
Our online community that provides inspirational stories and helpful information.