Galactose 1 Phosphate
Centralized Core Laboratory:Chemistry
Green top (lithium heparin) tube: Whole Blood
4.0 mL (minimum 2.0 mL)
Cause for rejection:
Sent to reference lab
For Outpatients, test should only be drawn in outpatient locations within a Hospital (Akron or Beeghly).
Draw blood in a green-top(heparin) tube(s), and process a minimum of 2 mL of heparinized whole blood as follows:
1. Immediately centrifuge for 10 minutes at 2,000 rpm.
2. Discard the plasma and buffy coat layers.
3. Add a cold 0.9% saline solution to the erythrocytes (about 2 times the
volume of erythrocytes).
4. Mix gently by inversion and centrifuge again for 10 minutes at 2,000 rpm.
5. Remove and discard the saline.
6. Repeat the wash steps (3-5) 2 more times.
7. After the final centrifugation, remove and discard the saline and a thin layer of the top cells.
8. Immediately freeze the washed, packed cells (red cell pellet from
step 7) and send specimen frozen in plastic vial.
Reference range is available on patient report