Plastic stool cup or ESwab collection kit
Order Stool Culture for isolation of Campylobacter, Shigella, Salmonella and Shiga toxin (including E. coli 0157). Note: For orders specific to the isolation of Yersinia, Vibrio or Aeromonas, write the name of the specific organism in the comment section of the audit trail, paper requisition, or script, and notify the laboratory that the specimen is being collected.
1. Stool should be passed into a clean dry container. Have the patient save the stool specimen one of the following ways: Pass stool into a wide-mouth, leak proof container with a tight fitting lid. Pass stool into a clean, dry bedpan and transfer the stool into a sterile leak proof container with a tight fitting lid.
Note:If using wooden applicator stick to transfer stool, do not leave wooden stick in container. The stick absorbs moisture and will cause the stool to become dried and unable o process. Dried stool specimens will be rejected.
2. Rectal swab Open ESwab collection kit. Pass the tip of the sterile swab beyond the anal sphincter anywhere from 1 cm in infants to 4 cm in larger adolescents. Rotate the swab to sample the anal crypts for 30 seconds. Break the swab at the score line into the transport tube containing 1.0mL liquid media.
C.difficile toxin assay and Rotavirus assay Specimen is bulk stool (not rectal swab, specimens on swabs will be rejected as QNS). Do not place the specimen in Viral Transport Medium (VIRAL TRANSPORT MEDIA- VTM, M4), or ParaPaks.
Ova and Parasites
Equipment Clean Plastic Stool Cup
1. The stool should be passed into a clean, dry container. Urine mixed with the specimen will contaminate results. Specimen cannot be collected directly out of the toilet.
2. Transfer stool specimen to stool cup and send to the Laboratory within 2 hours of collection,refrigerate if >than 2 hours.
Note If using wooden applicator stick to transfer stool, do not leave stick in stool container; specimen will dry out.
Occult Blood Transfer stool specimen to stool cup. Transport to Laboratory. Note: If using wooden applicator stick to transfer stool, do not leave stick in stool container; specimen will dry out.
Equipment Pinworm paddle (obtain from the laboratory)
1. Do not turn lights on in the room.
2. The ideal time for obtaining the specimen is early in the morning before having a bowel movement. Remove the cap which has an optically clear polystyrene paddle with one side coated with a nontoxic mildly adhesive material. This side is marked: sticky side. Press the sticky surface against the perianal skin with moderate pressure. Replace the cap with paddle into the container. Label the specimen and deliver the container to the laboratory.
Bowden, V.R., Smith Greenberg, C.(2008). Pediatric Nursing Procedures, 2nd Ed. Philadelphia: Wolters Kluwer/Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
Isenbery, H.D. (2004). Clinical Microbiology Procedures Handbook, Volume 2. Washington, D.C.: The ASM Press.
(8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.)
What to expect when coming to Akron Children's
For healthcare providers and nurses
Residency & Fellowships, Medical Students, Nursing and Allied Health
For prospective employees and career-seekers
Our online community that provides inspirational stories and helpful information.