Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy

Lee este articulo

Leaves of three, let them be! You've probably heard that little rhyme about poison ivy. But did you know that poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac all contain the same rash-causing substance? It's called urushiol (pronounced: yoo-ROO-shee-ol), a colorless, odorless oil (called resin) contained in the leaves of the plants.

Signs and Symptoms of Poison Ivy

Urushiol is considered an allergen because it causes an allergic reaction — which takes the form of a rash, itching, and sometimes swelling. Not everyone gets a reaction to urushiol, but about 60% to 80% of people do. This reaction can appear within hours of coming into contact with urushiol or as late as 5 days later.

Typically, the skin becomes red, itchy, and swollen and blisters will appear. After a few days, the blisters may become crusty and start to flake off. The rash that people get from poison ivy takes 1 to 2 weeks to heal.

Should I See a Doctor?

It's a good idea to call your doctor if you have any kind of rash, especially if you have a fever too. If your doctor determines that a rash has been caused by poison ivy or a similar plant, he or she may tell you to take cool showers and to use a soothing lotion, such as calamine lotion.

In more severe cases, doctors may prescribe pills or creams that contain antihistamines or steroids (not the same type of steroids that bodybuilders use!) to decrease itching and redness.

Can I Prevent It?

Poison ivy can grow anywhere — from the woods to your own backyard. And it's hard to identify: Not only can the green leaves of poison plants blend right in with other plants and brush, but there are several types of poison ivy, and each one can look different depending on the time of year.

It's also possible to get a rash from poison ivy without ever venturing into the woods or directly touching a plant. Urushiol can be transferred from one person to another. Plus, a person can pick it up from anything that's come in contact with the oil, including pets. Urushiol can even travel through the air if someone burns some of the plants to clear brush.

The leaves of poison ivy plants release urushiol when they're bumped, torn, or brushed against. (When the resin is released, the leaves may appear shiny or you may see black spots of resin on them.) Once the urushiol has been released, it can easily get on a person's skin.

Here are some tips to help you avoid getting a rash from poison ivy:

If you come into contact with urushiol oil, try to wash it off your skin right away by taking a shower and using lots of soap.

Reviewed by: Steven Dowshen, MD
Date reviewed: February 2014
Originally reviewed by: Patrice Hyde, MD





Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.

© 1995-2014 The Nemours Foundation/KidsHealth. All rights reserved.





Bookmark and Share

Related Resources
OrganizationNational Park Service This site contains information on America's national parks and the many ways you can enjoy the great outdoors.
Web SitePoison Ivy This site includes a wide selection of poison ivy photos to help people identify the plant. The photos show different varieties of the plant and how the plant looks during different seasons of the year.
Related Articles
Camping Basics Whether you'll be in the woods, on the desert, combing the beaches, or climbing mountain trails, check out our article about camping basics for a few important survival techniques.
Eczema Eczema is a common skin problem among teens. If you have eczema, read this article to find out more about it and how you can deal with the skin stress.
Scabies Scabies is a skin infection caused by tiny mites that burrow into the top layer of human skin to lay their eggs. Learn how scabies is spread, how to avoid it, and how doctors treat it.
Ringworm Ringworm isn't a worm at all - it's the name for a type of fungal skin infection. The good news is that ringworm is easy to treat.
Tips for Taking Care of Your Skin Sometimes it may seem like your skin is impossible to manage, especially when you find a huge zit on your nose or a cold sore at the corner of your mouth. Here are ways to prevent and treat common skin problems.
iGrow iGrow
Sign up for our parent enewsletter