Leaves of three, let them be! You've probably heard that little rhyme about poison ivy. But did you know that poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac all contain the same rash-causing substance? It's urushiol, a colorless, odorless oil (or resin) contained in the leaves of the plants.
Urushiol is considered an allergen because it causes an allergic reaction — which takes the form of a rash, itching, and sometimes swelling. About 60% to 80% of all people get a reaction to urushiol, which can appear within hours of contact or as much as 5 days later.
Typically, the skin becomes red, itchy, and swollen and blisters will appear. After a few days, the blisters may become crusty and start to flake off. The rash from poison ivy takes 1 to 2 weeks to heal.
Consult your doctor if your child has any kind of rash, especially with a fever. If poison ivy or a similar plant caused the rash, the doctor might recommend cool showers and a soothing lotion, such as calamine lotion.
For more severe cases, doctors sometimes prescribe pills or creams that contain antihistamines or steroids (not the same type of steroids that bodybuilders use) to decrease itching and redness.
Poison ivy can grow anywhere — from the woods to suburban backyards. And it's hard to identify: Not only can the green leaves of poison plants blend right in with other plants and brush, but there are several types of poison ivy, and each one can look different depending on the time of year.
It's also possible to get a rash from poison ivy without ever venturing into the woods or directly touching a plant. Urushiol can be transferred from one person to another. Plus, kids can pick it up from anything that's come in contact with the oil, including pets. Urushiol can even travel through the air if someone burns some of the plants to clear brush.
The leaves of poison ivy plants release urushiol when they're bumped, torn, or brushed against. (When the resin is released, the leaves may appear shiny or you may see black spots of resin on them.) Once released, urushiol can easily get on skin.
Here are some tips to help kids avoid getting a rash from poison ivy:
If your kids come into contact with urushiol oil, have them try to wash it off their skin right away by taking a shower and using lots of soap.
|National Park Service This site contains information on America's national parks and the many ways you can enjoy the great outdoors.|
|Poison Ivy This site includes a wide selection of poison ivy photos to help people identify the plant. The photos show different varieties of the plant and how the plant looks during different seasons of the year.|
|Babysitting: Dealing With Poison Ivy/Oak/Sumac What should you do if a child you're babysitting has a reaction to poison ivy, oak, or sumac? Our tips can help you be prepared.|
|Camping and Woods Safety Ah, the great outdoors! Find out how to stay safe while you're exploring the woods.|
|Camping Basics Whether you'll be in the woods, on the desert, combing the beaches, or climbing mountain trails, check out our article about camping basics for a few important survival techniques.|
|Rashes: The Itchy Truth Learn about rashes in a flash. Check out our article just for kids!|
|Summer Safety Center Want to avoid summer hazards so you can focus on the fun? This center offers tips for teens.|
|Summer Safety Keep the fun in summer by keeping your child safe in the sun, the water, and the great outdoors.|
|Poison Ivy About 60% to 80% of all people get a reaction to poison ivy. If you're one of them, check out these tips on what to do and how to avoid poison ivy.|
|Bug Bites and Stings In most cases, bug bites and stings are just nuisances. But in some cases, they can cause infections and allergic reactions. It's important to know the signs, and when to get medical attention.|
|Poison Ivy Poison ivy can give you a nasty rash. Find out more about it - and the other plants that can make you itch - in this article for kids.|
|First Aid: Poison Ivy/Oak/Sumac Mild rashes from poison ivy, oak, and sumac plants can be treated at home. But severe and widespread rashes require medical treatment.|
|Going Away to Camp Are you ready for sleepaway camp? Learn more about it in this article for kids.|
|Impetigo Impetigo is a contagious skin infection that usually produces blisters or sores on the face, neck, hands, and diaper area. It's one of the most common skin infections among kids.|
What to expect when coming to Akron Children's
For healthcare providers and nurses
Residency & Fellowships, Medical Students, Nursing and Allied Health
For prospective employees and career-seekers
Our online community that provides inspirational stories and helpful information.