First Aid: Insect Stings and Bites

First Aid: Insect Stings and Bites

First AidAlthough insect stings and bites can be irritating, in most cases symptoms begin to disappear by the next day and don't require medical care. However, kids who are allergic to some insect stings or bites may sometimes have life-threatening symptoms that need emergency treatment.

Signs and Symptoms

Of a mild reaction:

Of a severe allergic reaction:

What to Do

If there are signs of a severe reaction:

If there are no signs of a severe reaction:

Seek Medical Care

If:

Think Prevention!

Teach kids to avoid:

Reviewed by: Steven Dowshen, MD
Date reviewed: April 2014





Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.

© 1995-2014 The Nemours Foundation/KidsHealth. All rights reserved.





Bookmark and Share

Related Resources
OrganizationAmerican Academy of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology The American Academy of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology offers up-to-date information and a find-an-allergist search tool.
Related Articles
Camping and Woods Safety Ah, the great outdoors! Find out how to stay safe while you're exploring the woods.
How Can I Protect My Family From Ticks? Find out what the experts say.
Summer Safety Center Want to avoid summer hazards so you can focus on the fun? This center offers tips for teens.
Summer Safety Keep the fun in summer by keeping your child safe in the sun, the water, and the great outdoors.
Hey! A Brown Recluse Spider Bit Me! The brown recluse spider is one of six poisonous kinds of spiders in the United States. Learn more about the brown recluse spider.
Serious Allergic Reactions (Anaphylaxis) Kids with severe allergies can be at risk for a sudden, serious allergic reaction called anaphylaxis. The good news is it can be prevented and treated.
Insect Sting Allergy Insect sting allergies can cause serious reactions. Find out how to keep kids safe.
Can I Use Bug Killers and Repellents During Pregnancy? Find out what the experts have to say.
Hey! A Fire Ant Stung Me! Fire ants think they're hot stuff. Learn how to handle them in this article for kids.
Hey! A Gnat Bit Me! A gnat is a very tiny insect, no bigger than the head of a pin. Learn more about gnats.
How Do I Watch for Lyme Disease After Removing a Tick? Find out what the experts have to say.
A to Z: Insect Bites/Stings, Non-Venomous Bites from non-venomous insects are the result of an insect attempting to feed upon a person's blood. Non-venomous means the insect does not inject poisons through its bite.
Hey! A Flea Bit Me! A flea is a small (no bigger than the head of a pin) brown bug with a hard shell. Learn more about fleas and how they affect you in this fun article just for kids.
A to Z: Insect Bites/Stings, Venomous Venomous insects bite or sting people as a way to defend themselves. They inject a poison (venom) into a person through their mouth or stinger which causes a reaction.
Hey! A Scorpion Stung Me! Scorpions are about three inches long (about the length of a crayon), with eight legs and a small pair of claws that look like crabs' claws. Read all about them.
Hey! A Mosquito Bit Me! There are thousands of different kinds of mosquitoes in many different sizes and colors. Learn all about mosquitoes and how they bite you in this article.
Bug Bites and Stings In most cases, bug bites and stings are just nuisances. But in some cases, they can cause infections and allergic reactions. It's important to know the signs, and when to get medical attention.
Are Insect Repellents With DEET Safe for Kids? Find out what the experts have to say.
What to Do When You're Bugged by Bugs Ugh. Bugs. They're cool, but they also can ruin your day by stinging or biting you. Find out how to handle them in this article.
Bug Bites and Stings Generally, insect bites and stings are harmless. Find out how to keep pests from ruining your fun.
iGrow iGrow
Sign up for our parent enewsletter