Akron Children's Cancer and Blood Disorders Funds
The needs of a child with cancer or a serious blood disorder are many, and they extend well beyond medications and procedures.
First is the need for ongoing research to improve treatments and to better relieve the discomforts surrounding these illnesses.
Another is the need to provide better support to the patient, family and friends.
Last but not least is the fundamental need to educate families and others about these diseases. All require philanthropy.
- Bone Marrow Transplant Fund helps purchase equipment, fund construction and provides educational materials and activities for patients, families and staff.
- Children’s Cancer Fund supports research and education.
- Children’s Blood and Cancer (CBC) Fund provides personal items for patients and covers expenses of equipment and supplies.
- Stephen J. Comunale Jr. Fund relieves financial burden of parents with children who have cancer when all other resources are exhausted or unavailable.
- Hematology and Related Diseases Fund supports research, patient and family care and educational activities related to non-malignant blood disorders.
- LOPen Fund supports the needs of the Showers Family Center for Childhood Cancers and Blood Disorders.
- W. Bishop McIntosh & Family Fund supports research, education and care of patients with blood diseases and cancer.
- Summer Scholar Cancer Research Fund supports one or more students each summer conducting cancer research at Children’s.
- Teacher Fund a Need provides funds for an on-site educator for cancer patients.
- Shawn Gaffney Nursing Education Fund is used for oncology nursing education.
- Showers Family Center for Childhood Cancer and Blood Disorders Fund offsets construction costs and supports patient care, research and education programs.