Akron Children's Cancer and Blood Disorders Funds
The needs of a child with cancer or a serious blood disorder are many, and they extend well beyond medications and procedures.
First is the need for ongoing research to improve treatments and to better relieve the discomforts surrounding these illnesses.
Another is the need to provide better support to the patient, family and friends.
Last but not least is the fundamental need to educate families and others about these diseases. All require philanthropy.
- Amish Healthcare Initiatives provides financial support to the division of hematology and oncology in their efforts to address healthcare needs of the Amish community within our service area.
- Bone Marrow Transplant Fund helps purchase equipment, fund construction and provides educational materials and activities for patients, families and staff.
- Camp Ed Bear Endowment Fund supports a camp for hematology and oncology patients and staff each summer.
- Children’s Cancer Fund supports research and education.
- Children’s Blood and Cancer (CBC) Fund provides personal items for patients and covers expenses of equipment and supplies.
- Delos Living Fund promotes wellness through interior design at Akron Children’s Hospital, in keeping with the mission and vision of Delos Living. Uses of this fund include construction of Wellness Rooms, clinical research, staff support and wellness education.
- Hematology Fund supports research, patient and family care and educational activities related to non-malignant blood disorders.
- LOPen Fund supports the needs of the Showers Family Center for Childhood Cancers and Blood Disorders.
- W. Bishop McIntosh & Family Fund supports research, education and care of patients with blood diseases and cancer.
- Neuro-Oncology Fund financially supports the activities of the Neuro-Oncology Program, including clinical research, staff support, and education concerning tumors of the brain and spinal cord that affect children, adolescents and young adults.
- Summer Scholar Cancer Research Fund supports one or more students each summer conducting cancer research at Children’s.
- Shannon E. Wilkes Pediatric Oncology Tissue Banking and Targeted Therapy Fund provides financial support to the Division of Hematology-Oncology in their efforts to initiate a program to perform molecular studies on tumor tissue from children with high risk/poor-prognosis malignancies.
- Shawn Gaffney Nursing Education Fund is used for oncology nursing education.
- Showers Family Center for Childhood Cancer and Blood Disorders Fund offsets construction costs and supports patient care, research and education programs.
- Teacher Fund a Need provides funds for an on-site educator for cancer patients.